Soapy Taste In Mouth

What is That Soapy Taste in Your Mouth

Have you noticed a soapy taste in your mouth recently? This can come about quite quickly and disappear for no apparent reason, seemingly striking at will. (Unlike those memorable childhood moments when your potty mouth got washed out with soap…) The most common cause behind the dreaded soapy taste is, believe it or not, sodium fluoride poisoning. Let’s look into exactly what sodium fluoride poising is, how the body can take in too much of this substance, and how it can be treated.

A soapy taste in your mouth that just doesn’t seem to go away is most often caused by fluoride poisoning, as mentioned above, but what exactly does that mean? Sodium fluoride (aka: fluoride) is found in mouthwash, toothpaste, and even in water treatment systems. Fluoride is a form of salt that that is used to strengthen the enamel of teeth. Everyone has seen the commercials boasting that this brand of toothpaste has fluoride to give your teeth better protection against cavities, but how come they don’t stress the dangers of using too many products that contain fluoride? If you look carefully on the packaging on your toothpaste or mouth wash, you will likely see a warning stating that the product is not intended to be swallowed. In addition to this, it may also state to contact your local poison control center in the event that a large amount is ingested.

Unfortunately, fluoride is a poisonous substance when it is ingested and if a large enough amount has been swallowed, it could mean the development of health issues in the near future. According to the Center for Disease Control, one of the most noticeable symptoms of sodium fluoride poisoning is a soapy taste in your mouth. When large quantities have been ingested, you may even find yourself vomiting or nursing bouts of diarrhea, collapsing, or experiencing a numb sensation in your mouth. In severe cases, a person could even fall into a state of shock due to the poisoning. You don’t even have to physically swallow something that fluoride in it to suffer from fluoride poisoning. Having your teeth treated at the dentist using a fluoride treatment can contribute to the illness should you receive too many treatments or receive a treatment or two in conjunction with using a high-fluoride toothpaste like Sensodyne.

If the soapy taste in your mouth seems pretty mild and you are not suffering any other symptoms, you may be able to clear up the problem by ceasing use of fluoride products for a while. In addition to switching to a low-fluoride toothpaste, you might want to consider having your tap water checked for high levels of fluoride as this could be a contributor to your problem. If you suspect that you may be suffering from a fluoride treatment received at the dentist and you are only dealing with a mild bout of soapy taste in your mouth, then you might want to discuss alternative treatments with your dentist and explain the side effect you had with the last fluoride treatment.

If you have other symptoms in addition to the soapy taste, such as collapsing, numbness, diarrhea, or vomiting, you should see your doctor immediately. It is unlikely that you would die from one instance of fluoride poisoning, but failing to treat the issue can lead to serious health problems. Your best form of treatment is to avoid fluoride in dental care and switch to distilled water or install a good water filtration system. Fluoride poisoning is not something to mess around with. If you feel that you would like confirmation of your condition, schedule an appointment with your doctor as soon as possible.